[OM] Lens Cleaning

Subject: [OM] Lens Cleaning
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 03:11:07 EST
John Hudson wrote:

>What about trichloroethylene used in very small amounts in well ventilated
surroundings?

Be sure not to breathe it, or trichoroethane, either.  It can put you DOWN,
unconscious.  And don't get it on your skin -- potential liver and nervous
system damage.  No proven carcinogenic affects, but that isn't necessarily a
clean bill of health.  As for lens cleaning, I'd opt for something a lot less
potentially dangerous, like lens cleaning fluid, Windex (expensive water,
ammonia, and pretty blue dye), isopropyl alcohol, or just plain water.
Trichloroethylene/trichloroethane is a great cleaning/degreasing chemical,
otherwise.  Just... scary.

As for acetone, I used to wash my hands with it almost daily in the boatyard.
 Most folks working in fiberglass use it by the gallon for cleaning up resin,
tools, hands.   (finger)Nail techs all over the world use it by the gallon,
daily, too.  Fingernail polish is nothing more than acetone with a perfume
added.  One of my favorite chemicals for cleaning, but I don't think I'd opt
for it as a lens cleaner, either.

Heck, I've even washed my hands in gasoline, too... and there ARE carcinogens
in gasoline (benzine, for one).  Used to love the smell of it.  My dad used
gas as a cheap shotgun cleaner.  He also thought DDT, malathion, guthion,
etc. were the greatest chemicals ever invented (and mixed all kinds of
pesticides together with abandon). | :O

I've used carbon tet and naptha without protection, too, before I learned
better.  Orchard spray planes (old Boeing Stearman bi wings) used to fly
right over the house on approach to the local airstrip, dripping pesticides
on my little upturned sunburned face.  I used gallons of model airplane
"Dope" as a kid.  I should be dead by now, for these, any many other reasons
(like beer & motorcycles -- at the same time -- youth, ya know).  So anymore,
I try to minimize any and all chemical exposures.

RE: lens cleaning, I'm like some (hopefully most) others on the list.  I
clean optics (lenses, spotting scopes, binoculars, etc.) as little as is
absolutely necessary, and then as gently as possible.  Gentle cleaning agent,
gentle motions.  An old cotton t-shirt works great for me.  Emphasis on old.

Bill, Dove bars are O.K., unless you're high cholestrol, like me, darn it.

Rich (who goes for a liver function test in a couple weeks for Lipitor
cholestrol control  -- how will they know if any liver impairment is the
result of Lipitor or 35 - 40 years of other chemical exposures?)