Re: [OM] Information request

Subject: Re: [OM] Information request
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:43:24 -0600
Could be either.

Earlier models of the OM-1 used a steel insert screwed into a
chrome-plated steel knurled knob, with a black steel or plastic plate
glued on top.  (The very, very earliest OM-1's even had a set-screw
through the side of the chrome knurled piece, though Olympus soon began
to simply put glue on the threads.)  A "peel-and-stick" disk with the
ASA numbers was stuck on top.  Later OM-1's and OM-1n's were made with a
plastic insert screwed into the chrome-plated metal knurled knob.  This
plastic insert was intergral with the top and cannot be removed -- once
it is installed, the disk with the ASA numbers is attached directly to
the top.

One problem with the new plastic type insert is that the teeth that lock
the ASA knob in place at each setting are plastic, too, so if someone
tries to force the knob to turn without depressing the release button
next to the knob, they can shear off one or more of the plastic teeth.
Not only does this let the knob turn freely from one ASA position to
another, the broken tooth can drop down into the camera's workings,
potentially causing more trouble.

Also, the metal or plastic covers for the top of the older style ASA
knob haven't been available for years, except from other top covers.  If
the top plate is missing, and you haven't got a "donor" part from the
same type top cover, the only solution is to disassemble the top cover
and replace the metal insert with a plastic one.