[OM] Re: Microscope/Digital Camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Microscope/Digital Camera
From: "Charles Geilfuss" <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:10:40 +0000

Greetings All,
There are a couple of ways this can be handled depending what type of set-up you want and how much you have to spend. All of the major Microscope makers (Olympus included) have dedicated digital camera bodies that are semi-permanently attached to the scope head's third port. If you are unfamiliar, it is a tube coming out of the top of the microscope head that sits atop a beam splitter to send a projected image to the camera. It has been used with film cameras for decades. The dedicated digital cameras are high-resolution (5-6 megas) and very expensive (5-10K range). They have to be attached to a computer to download the image files. I checked out the Olympus system a few years ago and it is excellent but much too costly and elaborate for my simple needs. Our pathology practice was asked to show images at the weekly hospital Cancer Conference. We have a film camera on one microscope but since I usually get the patient names the day before/same day as the conference, digital was the best way to go. I have found the best camera to use (at that time ) was a N*k*n Coolpix 950. It is only 2.5 Mega but that is adequate for images that are shown on a 25 inch monitor or a digital projector. What allows this camera to work is that it has internal focusing. This is crucial since we take the images through one of the microscope eyepieces. This has become a little easier since we purchased an eyepiece adaptor that attaches to the filter threads of the Coolpix. The other end is a tube the same diameter as the eyepiece. Just pop out the eyepiece and pop in the camera. The adaptor has internal lenses that replace those in the eyepiece. The adaptor is made by Optem/Avimo Precision Instruments of Fairport, NY (info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx). To take the images simply focus on the LED screen as usual. It works best if you turn off the flash and set focus to Macro. To display the images we simply take the camera to conference and hook it directly to the moniter via the RCA video plug on the back. The coolpix has the typical digital camera nested menus that I despise but it IS easy to navigate since it displays 12 images at a time as thumbnails.
 Hope this long ramble was of some help.

Charlie Geilfuss