[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3719

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3719
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:36:02 -0600
"Aren't the Hassy's used with strobes up in the rafters at the basketball
games?   If so, I'm confident the reason that they're used is the high synch
speed."
I have never seen an NBA game in person, but I believe that the strobes are
used with radio triggers with all shots for the lucky photog. Certainly, for
those shots, the higher synch speed is desirable. For shots from the floor,
a slower synch speed would be fine, as some blur in feet and hands would be
good.

I shot an NCAA tournament in the seventies. It was during the time that
color television coverage was becoming standard for college games, and the
regular lighting was replaced with 3200K quartz. Boy, was that great!

"On the top of the stadium for the Lakers (on each side) is mounted a Hassy
903."
Can this be true? I'm not up on the latest 'blad gear (I hope to someday own
a SWC/M), but is there a motor for the superwides? I thought not. I guess
that one shot is enough for that position, assuming everything goes
perfectly, like all my photography...

Bill Pearce