Re: [OM] not defecting but supplementing

Subject: Re: [OM] not defecting but supplementing
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:20:42 -0400
> << Then again the C-4040 is no better than a Stylus Epic. >>
>
> Really? Hmm. I gave my wife a Stylus Epic as a gift a few years ago. I'll
> have to pull it out, slip a SM card in it, hook it to a USB port and see
> what kind of digital files I can get out of it right away ;-)
Hmm...where's
> the card slot anyway? Doesn't fit! <g>
>
> Reality is, for the 35mm focal length on good film, the Epic probably can
> get a better large enlarged print than the C-4040. But, the C-4040 lens is
> zoom and is faster at f1.8 vs. f2.8. The 4.1mp files will deliver very
nice
> large prints from the internet labs I use.
>
> Apples and oranges.
>
> Mike Veglia

And the reality for me is , I already have a Stylus Epic 2.8, plus a lot of
other film cameras that all have their niche to fill. But none of them put
pics on my computer screen. I just finished today getting our Thanksgiving
Day family photo, a 20x24 enlargement from a MF neg, hung on the wall. I
doubt the epic would have been satisfactory for that either.
Thanks to all who've offered their advice on digital so far. I've been
looking at the C3040 as well as the 4040, but I need to find a store where I
can actually get my hands on them. Some of the refurb ones on epay look to
fit my budget, but they're all on the state side, and I think I'd better
stick to buying in Canada for this one to avoid duty hassles. So I'll have
to buy new, and maybe help the budget a little by selling something from the
film camera shelf.
Wayne