[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3717

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3717
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:32:24 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:51:52 -0800
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Re- Defection etc.

Here is a link to a photo I made yesterday with a digital camera.  I think
it glows pretty good. -:)  Also I would say that if you are using an E-10/20
there is no significant lag time between pressing the shutter and the shot
being recorded.  In low light you need to take into account that it takes a
moment for the auto focus to work.  But, if you pre focus which the camera
will do, when you press the shutter it takes the shot instantly.  How is
this different from manually focusing and OM with, say an 85/2 on it?  Ask
Mike Veglia if one can take decisive moment photos.  I think he will support
me in this.

Dave Dougherty

I think you and Mike V. are right. There's been a lot of bashing of digitals cameras on this list the last day or so, but I think it's ill-founded. They are an extension of the photographic tools to our arsenal. Like all photographic tools, ANY of the cameras that I shoot with, be it OM series, point and shoots, or digital, have their benefits and shortcomings. The challenge in becoming a better photographer is to make use of their strengths and learn to attenuate and work with, and even take advantage of, their weaknesses. I for one look at taking a particular camera, e.g. my late-lameted, but much-loved C4040Z, or my Contax T3, or my Yashica T4, or my cool little Canonet GIII rangefinder, and getting something out of it as much as a challenge as any of my OM stuff. I like the variety of shooting and using them.

l love my Oly OM stuff, but I'm not chauvanistic about it. If I had a Canon D60 or Nikon D100 with some fast and long prime autofocus lenses, you can bet your sweet derriere I'd use them. Yes, it's gratifying to get a great tracking shot of some Indy car going smokin' into 5 at Laguna at a buck fifty sharp from end to end with an OM-1 and a long, manual focus lens. But the bottom line is, after 19 years of motorsports photography using manual cameras and lenses and slow films, I already know how to do that, thank you very much. And the aforementioned digitals would just increase my "keeper rate" even more, and I'd have even more sharp, focussed shots than I do now, increasing the likelihood I could get them sold and published, and perhaps even getting enough credentials so as to get track photo access, which would provide even better results than I can now get shooting over the chain link. Most all the mags now are shooting digital exclusively, and having those tools available as well as all the OM stuff would likely increase my chances of success as a motorsports photographer, not diminish it. I'd be foolish not to take advantage of these "enabling tools" if available.