RE: [OM] WE - clarification

Subject: RE: [OM] WE - clarification
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:38:55 +1100
> Robert Gries [mailto:rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Thanks to all who have been responding to the Winter Exchange.
> I just wanted to supplement the description by reminding
> everyone that this is certainly not a competition.  Nor
> is it "my absolute prettiest picture" type of thing either.
> Rather, it is what kind of work you have been doing recently
> that interests you.

Well, I feel compelled to add some words to incentivize (yes,
"incentivize" *is* a word. Look it up! <g>) those who have
not put their name down but are considering it. Participating
in the Summer Exchange 2002:

http://www.nothingrhymeswithorange.com/gries/Asides/OM-S-02/main.htm

was one of the most pleasurable photographic experiences I've
had, and, along with TOPE, epitomises why this OM list is
the best photographic forums I have been part of (yes, even
with the OT stuff :-) ). If you get past the joy of anticipation
of receipt of your print, the pleasure in seeing how one of your
own photos improves when it's blown up beyond 4x6" for a change
(for some of us), and the cross-cultural/social/interest exchanges
that occur (even within countries or states), it's just plain fun
to be sending a print of your work with a note or a letter to
someone who not only is looking forward it, but won't fake
interest (like so many of our friends and partners do <g>) in the
process as Robert (the wonderful WE coordinator and hoster of scans)
has mentioned, , and vice versa.

I'm in Sydney, Australia, for OM's sake! Here I am getting a
wonderful 8x12" dirt-track racing photo from Topeka, Kansas, USA!
sent by Daryl Hurley! I was a 5y.o.-on-Christmas-morning when
it arrived and I got to open it. I admit to feeling just a
*little* nervous sending mine, knowing that my skills didn't
come close to so many others here, but my recipient, and
just general talk here, made me realise that if I was worried
about that I was missing the point.

So, if you're thinking about it, but are unsure, go for it!
It, like TOPE, is surprisingly (or perhaps not) incentivizing
(I swear, it's in the dictionary) for this hobby/life of ours.

Okay, so maybe I'm overenthusiastic. Trust me but...it is good.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz