RE: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5, and question on testing

Subject: RE: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5, and question on testing
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:15:39 -0600
I have to agree with C.H. on this one. I did have a chance recently to
try out the 50/2, and some of the shots made you sit down, slap your
forehead and stare blankly saying "wow" over and over again.  However, I
do prefer the 50/3.5 for handling, weight, and it is no slouch either.
I know that web images aren't really that good for comparisons, but I
posted these a few weeks ago:

http://www.nothingrhymeswithorange.com/gries/Asides/MACRO.htm

It shows the 50/2 at nearly 1:2 for MA-PL-001, and the 50/3.5 at 1:1 for
MA-FL-002.  the 50/3.5 does get a *bit* soft beyond 1:2, but only
critically. For the price, size, weight, and handling the 50/3.5 can't
be beat.  I also have another subjective test still in the camera right
now of the 50/2 and 50/3.5 side-by-side of an object at approx. 1:3.

Also, maybe somebody can help be with something.  I think I remember
something about the particular sensitivity of red as being critical for
most lenses and films.  I know of the vibrant reds of K-14 films, but
isn't there something that red is more susceptible to chromatic
aberration, or that it usually renders the least detail, etc.?  I
thought that I may have gathered that from the list, but maybe not.
Anyway, I usually test a lens by having something of all the color
spectrum in the shot - particularly red.

I'll be sure to let you know my observations when I get the slides back.
Alas, the 50/2 wasn't for me, but it is one of the best lenses I have
ever seen.

Bob Gries