[OM] [ot] ultra compact camera case recs?

Subject: [OM] [ot] ultra compact camera case recs?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:06:31 -0500
Siddiq said:
i'm looking for user opinions on ultra compact camera cases... etc.
For the Stylus Epic I have a little Samsonite case with a belt loop that also has a front pouch about 1/3 the size of the main case. The front pouch is large enough for a spare battery and two rolls of film. The case has a "landscape orientation" with both pouches opening fully across the top for quick and easy access.

For the 2 megapixel digital I use a black leather "fanny pack" that also has a separate pouch on the front large enough for 4 spare AA NiMH batteries + spare CF's (if I had any). The camera, which is much too large for the little Samsonite case mentioned above, fits in the little fanny pack with plenty of room to spare for items like wallet, keys, etc. Since the fanny pack has its own built-in belt it's easier to put on and off than the little Samsonite case with its belt loop. The fanny pack is also in a "landscape orientation" as to how it opens and holds the camera. I have come to believe this is an important characteristic.

I originally used the camera's own case but that proved impractical since it had no room for spare batteries for a battery hungry device. I tried purchasing a couple of other Samsonite belt loop cases of different configurations but they proved cumbersome in actual usage. Many of these case openings are not designed to allow you to get your hand around the camera and extract it from the case at the same time without scraping the skin off your fingers on the zippers. They simply don't open wide enough.

Then one day I stopped at a rest stop along the NY state thruway. There was a guy with a cart there selling various kinds of leather goods... wallets, purses, cell phone cases, etc, etc. Theyr'e probably still there at all the stops. I picked up the nice looking little ultra-soft leather fanny pack for $12. It's clearly the best solution yet for the bulky digital with its spare batteries. It also sits more comfortably around the waist than the other solutions. No flopping about.

You can probably find something similar in a shopping mall or roadside rest stop near you.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA