RE: [OM] DEATH of a friend.......

Subject: RE: [OM] DEATH of a friend.......
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:50:53 -0500
Eric,

I understand the issues.  I too have decided that I need an autofocus body
and a couple of lenses for fast moving action or sports.  But outside of
autofocus, I haven't seen much that the OM-4Ti can't handle on most fronts.
It's disadvantages?  Lack of really good, new technology zooms of all focal
lengths, lack of variable ratio fill-flash, relatively noisy motor drives.

My big question?  What happened that pushed you over the edge?  If it was a
lens, then you need to remember that lenses need CLA's every 10-15 years to
stay in good service, more if they're abused or used in hostile
environments.  If it was a body, they need to go in every 5 years or so for
service.  If any piece of equipment was feeding my family, I'd also have
backups and keep them all serviced regularly.  Even if you have CN or NK,
they need the same service.

(I know a woman proo who uses Leica M6TTL's and M7's on a regular, annual
trip to Central America for several weeks.  When she returns each year, the
cameras go for their CLA's, which cost $150-200 each.  That's the price of
performance.)

Windsor - you should re-buy an M3 and a lens, there's nothing like it and
they can be had for <$1k total.

Jim - The CN system doesn't weight as much as you might think if you stay
south of the top-of-the-line bodies and super-large lenses.

Skip