Re: [OM] XA viewfinder adjustment question

Subject: Re: [OM] XA viewfinder adjustment question
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:15:04 -0600
There is no such adjustment for the finder -- unless it's broken in some
way.  I suspect you're encountering parallax shift.

Since the optics you're looking through are not the same as the ones
used to create the photo, the two will never "see" exactly the same
view.  The finders of most (if not all) such cameras are designed to
show the approximate framing of a subject at a great distance.  The
closer the subject is to the camera, the greater the discrepancy between
what the finder shows and what the film will actually record.

Better viewfinder cameras will often include "parallax marks" in the
finder that will indicate one or more edges of the image (top edge, and
sometimes one side, depending on the relation of the finder to the
"taking" lens) when used at the closest focusing distance.  Off the top
of my head (I'm at home...) I don't recall if they appear in the XA's
rangefinder, but I suspect they do.  Since the finder of the XA is
centered directly above the taking lens (as best I remember), there's no
side-to-side shift, only vertical, so the closer you are to your
subject, the lower in the finder will be the top edge of the actual
photo.  On cameras where the finder is not only above the taking lens
but also to one side, the parallax marks will show that the user will
have to frame not only higher, but also to one side or the other
compared to the full image shown in the viewfinder.

I'm sure someone will have a web site that will illustrate this better
with illustrations, and I bet there's a page in the XA instructions that
explain it as well.