Re: [OM] OM-2 flash operation

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2 flash operation
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:18:02 +0100
It seems to me that this 'feature' of the OM-2 means that one can use the
OM-2 to take a flash photo of a large dark interior, where a T32 will not
be powerful enough. One can run around flashing (!) the T32 at different
areas, until the OM-2 has had sufficient light to complete the exposure.

Would that work?

Roger Key

The OM2 on auto will open the shutter with no idea of what shutter speed it
is going to use. If the second curtain is still open when the first curtain
completes its run, the X sync circuit fires the flash. The  light from the
flash is added to ambient. When there is sufficient total light, the second
curtain starts to close. The back EMF from the magnet is used to quench the
flash, *if the flash is still alight*. This is why the operation is
different for the pre N, as it doesn't distinguish between flash and non -
flash operation. The shutter speed actually used could be anything between
1/60th and 2 minutes (or more in most cases), with or without flash.

Julian