Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead

Subject: Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 11:08:23 -0800
Interesting you would mention this Albert. I was going to post some
interesting tidbits from our recent trip to shoot the CA 500 CART event
anyway and this reminds me of one of the reasons.

Basking in the outdoor spa at the Agua Caliente hotel in Desert Hot Springs
one conversation led to another with a couple sharing the tub with us. Turns
out he, Scott, is one of the folks involved with (owner? designer? not
sure...) with Arcatech. His photographic passion is mostly MF and 4x5 nature
work, mostly B&W. However, he was well aware of OMs, said he had even used a
350/2.8 on occasion. He seemed like quite a fan of OMs. He touted the ball
head they make as being immune to dirt, etc. jamming it up.

It gets better. Essentially these folks are a Mechanical Engineering and CNC
machining firm specializing in photographic products. One of the products
they have a prototype of (but may not be putting into production for fear of
low demand) is a quick release mount for the Olympus TCON-300 and E-10/20.
(The Olympus mounting method being somewhat slow and cumbersome). He went on
to tell me that they do some work with/for a guy who writes for Shutterbug
who is apaprently an OM fanatic. They are already planning to explore the
possibility of making OM mount adapters for the Olympus 4/3 DSLR as soon as
this guy at Shutterbug can get his hands on a pre-production prototype 4/3
system body (which they believe will be sometime late Spring/early summer
next year).

Anyway, not having much to write with and no business cards in hand, what
with being in a hot tub and all, Scott directed me to their ad in Outdoor
Photographer as a means to stay in touch. I also asked about the elusive OM
to EOS adapter to which he said they may be able to do one, if there were
enough demand for it. (Apparently they do a Contax lens to EOS adapter now.)
I'll email Scott soon and stay in touch with him.

Interesting coincidence.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com