[OT] Re: [OM] Help Stop Copyright Theft!

Subject: [OT] Re: [OM] Help Stop Copyright Theft!
From: mms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:49:06 -0500

> So I can copy George Bush's and Al Gore's pictures off their website,
> publish them on mine and imply they both endorse me?
> Tom

Sure. And George or Al are free to claim otherwise.

I don't think one can claim copyright for an image presented as news, or used
within the context of free political speech.  Now, if ADM or ConAgra used one
of Barry's images in a commercial, he has a legitemate copyright claim.  But
once the photo of Barry's Dad appeared in a political ad, or in a news article,
his opponent is free to use it in the same context.  So is anyone else.

Photographers can and do win large awards when their images are "stolen" for
commercial purposes.  There was a Shutterbug contibutor--can't recall the
name--who got a six-figure settlement for such an infringement about 10 years
ago.

Tom being endorsed by Big Al is more believable than most of the other cr*p I
see in political ads.  I can't wait til Wednesday.

Morgan

..