Re: [OM] Quick OM-4 / Flash Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick OM-4 / Flash Question
From: Pawel Golik <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:44:53 +0200
On Friday 25 October 2002 12:04, Jon Mitchell wrote:

> With my OM-4 and T20/T32, if I leave the camera on Auto and switch the
> Flash Calculator Panels to "Full Auto Control with OM-2" it will give the
> correct results ?

I will. It'll use flash whenever the speed will be longer than 1/60 and adjust
the duration of the flash with TTL/OTF. Always worked for me.

> Also, I seem to remember reading that I can't use spot metering with the
> flash ?

Not with the simple autoexposure. There may be a way, but AFAIR flash auto
works during the exposure (the camera measures light reflected from the
subject with TTL/OTF and decides when to cut the flash off, very much like
normal OTF auto). Spot metering is done _before_ the exposure, and there is
no flash at the time. The camera would have to predict how the flash would
reflect off the subject, and there is no way to do that without measuring the
flash itself.
        Pawel
--
Pawel Golik