Re: [OM] family photo enlargement

Subject: Re: [OM] family photo enlargement
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:30:05 -0500
At 16:53 10/22/02, you wrote:
We're debating now on which one of the self-portrait family shots we took on
Thanksgiving day to get enlarged. If we go with one of the ones taken with
the Yolympusmat 124G tlr (6x6 neg), how big can we enlarge? I've never had
enlargements done from anything other than 35mm.

Wayne,
My rule of thumb is a maximum of 12X enlargement from very fine grain film. In 35mm this translates to an 11X16 print. From 120/220 (645 or 6x6) this translates to about a 20X24 or 20X30, or 24X30 in common (albeit large) print sizes. 12X of 57mm is about 27 inches. YMMV depending on film, focus accuracy, depth of field control (usually ensuring its adequate) and lens. Some will push to greater enlargement as they assume viewing distance will be farther than what I use.

Bottom Line:
If the 120/220 negatives were reasonably executed (sufficent sharpness) you should have no problem making 16x20 or 20x24 prints. For the 35mm you should have no probelm making 11x14 prints.

-- John