Re: [OM] newborn shots?

Subject: Re: [OM] newborn shots?
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:04:25 -0400
To all who responded to my query- Thanksabunch for your kind wishes and
thoughtful suggestions. This is not my first time in the delivery room. I
took the camera in for each of my own children (19, 21 and 23 years ago). I
had some luck and some problems. I've misloaded 10 or fewer rolls of film
over the years. Wouldn't you know it happened on delivery #2. So, I'm making
sure that I at least carry properly loaded/set bodies in with me... There's
a good chance I won't make the delivery room, but other in-hospital shots
are assured. Grandpa IS the family photographer, so I don't expect access to
be a problem.

I'll probably use the 800 superia, and rate it at 500. If I need faster, the
1600 will be in the bag. I'll bring the polarizer in case of
through-the-glass shots. KISS is the plan. 50 the starter lens, 35 and 100
if needed. I like the idea of the 4-layer to lessen color balance issues. I
found the discussion on flourescent compensation to the very interesting,
but I don't fancy myself climbing up to the fixtures to find out what bulbs
are in use ;-). That would really depart from Kiss, eh!

Plan to process at Penn camera, who have provided nothing but the best of
product and service to me (family protraits, weddings and general stuff all
well printed).

This child will be my second grand-baby. At my daughter's first delivery,
the room was quite dim. Even the focused lighting wasn't all that bright.
The midwives were after the gentle introduction. I'm not sure that
transition can really be smoothed that much. Light, noise, cold, touch,
breathing, what a sudden rush. It's a wonder we ever stop crying!

I would consider B&W, but I don't process negs, and haven't found a reliable
and convenient processor. My attempts sent off to Kodak or Fuji have been
less than interesting. I used to love burning in blacks in the darkroom. The
children are what drove away the darkroom. Too much time to setup and
cleanup. It languished and I sold it. I will probably experiment with some
B&W printing of these scanned color negatives. If anyone has any
recommendations for handling this, I'm all ears.

So far, she has had only a few contractions without forming any pattern.
She'd like labor to start naturally (come on Full Moon!), but because of
pregnancy induced hypertension, they will induce on Thursday. I expect I
will have the photos next week and will post on the website for family and
friends to see. I'll post the link here for your perusal.

Thanks again for your well wishes!
Mickey