[OM] Forget Yellow Jackets, Let's freeze Larry

Subject: [OM] Forget Yellow Jackets, Let's freeze Larry
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:39:40 -0700 (PDT)
This hoopla over Phootoshop is a bit "over the top".

Frankly, I agree that the price is unreal, but it is a seller's
market.  If it was too high, people wouldn't be buying it.
People do, and the R&D dollars flow right back into the
product-otherwise we'd still be buying Phootoshop Version 1.

I vote with my pocket book.  I can't afford Phootoshop even
though I could probably justify the purchase.  Instead I use an
*OLD* (legal) version of Macromedia XRes and GIMP.  Between the
two (and some cool software that came with various things I've
bought, like the S9000 printer) I'm in good shape.

The money I've saved by not purchasing Phootoshop has allowed me
to invest more in my wet darkroom and buy a better digital
printer than originally planned.

I worked for 13 years in the software and entertainment
industries, currently the Internet product manager for a decent
sized telecom and also a Professional Photographer.  I'm used to
selling "intangibles".

Oh, and that link for the free software?  I checked right away
to make sure that it wasn't originating from my network.  It is
flat-out illegal and we disconnect abusers every week.

If you don't care for the modern features in cars or software,
don't upgrade.  Late '60s Ford T-birds are fine if you can find
the parts and the lousy brakes don't bother you.  Same with
software--if a 1997 version of an image editor serves your
purposes, why even worry about what the current price is?  I
will eventually need to upgrade to Phootoshop (and buy a digital
camera), but don't feel it necessary to defend my choices in
ancient technology by trashing the new.

Oh, and Larry:  Please cool it on the language.  I would have
preferred that you took that response off-list.  Besides, I
think he was yanking your chain.

AG