[OM] [OT:] I AM a software producer

Subject: [OM] [OT:] I AM a software producer
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:34:44 -0700
Simply put - software thieves are lowlifes. First of all, I know people who work on Photoshop. When PShop6/7 starts, the first panel lists the name. One of the head programmers is Williams. Guess what, he lives in a modest home in San Jose with his wife - 2 bedrooms (his wife NEEDs to work too). The house is sort of old Victorian thing. He does not have millions. He doesn't drive a fancy car. Doesn't have a fancy "home entertainment system."

I write my own software. You guys have seen me posted at 4AM, because I often work UNTIL 4AM. Owning your business means flex time, meaning that I can work any 60+ hours I want. I have to program, do tech support, answering sale questions, even do taxes. I do every freaking thing. If I take a long weekend, it just means I have to work extra hard for a few days to catch up. If I take actual times off - oh boy, I'm behind on about 3 weeks for every week I take off. Isn't it fun.

And yes, my programs have been pirated. I have offered students $50 special version. I even have Chinese and Russian distributors where I discounted up to 750ff so that I can sell some copies there instead having them all pirated. There are scumballs who don't want to pay, even if you set the prices low.

So for all the time I put in, I live in relative comfort. A small 1500 sq ft house w/ 3 bedrooms. A used minivan and a 12 years old sedan. When the dot com boomed, we plod along slowly, when the dot com crashed, we still plodding along slowly. It's hard work, but I enjoy it mainly because I control my own destiny. No manager to tell me what to do. If I listen to the customers, I succeed. If I don't, well, that I don't succeed....

Except for the low life thieving scum balls. They have no honor, no moral, no ethic, no BALLS.