Re: [OM] 16MP DC vs Provia F 100

Subject: Re: [OM] 16MP DC vs Provia F 100
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:25:15 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>

> Interesting shots but I'm a bit confused as to your
> methodology. How exactly did you try to simulate a
> 14MP digicam with the E-10 vs the OM? Otherwise it's
> an interesting comparison.

Assume a DC with 16MP and a 70mm (35mm equ.) lens. If you want to crop it to
4MP, you need a lens its angle of view is half of the 70mm that means you
need a 140mm lens. The E-10 is only 4MP, so I set it to 140mm and assume the
picture is cut from a 16MP DC with 70mm lens.

> ?The pictures were taken at
> almost the same time right?

Yes, within five minutes time.

>But the Provia is so much
> cooler.

Yes, I also found the same, the scanned picture looks cooler than the slide
(my monitor is set at 5000K and also my light box) but the slide is still
coolor than the DC shoot. I have set the DC to 5500K, I expected the picture
will have similar color but it didn't. It was directly scanned from Nikon
4000ED.

> As far as resolution goes at first the DC
> looks sharper (to my eye) but if you look closely and
> study the photographs you can catch some very subtle
> details that the DC missed completely (take a look at
> level 16 on the first row of windows coming in from
> the number side, there is a broken window there
> clearly shown in the film but totally missed by the
> DC.

? can you tell me which one, if you mean the 8th windows from the left of
"16" that is a dust on the film. I have not use ICE function to prevent any
further resolution loss.

>      The only other big difference is the grain, which
> is nearly nonexistant in the E-10 but very present in
> the OM shot but personally the grain gives the picture
> a definite sense of grittiness that I like in this
> picture at least so Provia wins in this category.

The problem is people like to have less grain, that is why they go large
format, now the DC is clearly the winner.

C.H.Ling