Re: [OM] Info on 35-70 Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] Info on 35-70 Zuikos
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:11:40 -0700 (PDT)
There are 4 types of the 35-70. Olympus's 'pro' 35-70
is the fixed 3.6 version and although I don't own one
I hear it's a very good lens with many of the same
characteristics as it's bigger, newer, and much more
expensive brother the 35-80/2.8.

The 35-70 3.5~4.5 is a great lightweight snapshot lens
that can hold its own in a pinch even. I do own one of
these and it has served me well as a great little zoom
for family gatherings and such where I'm not going to
be looking at anything larger than 4x6. For anything
larger though I would go for the 3.6 or a prime lens.

(small shameless plug: I am selling this lens as I
have been using my primes almost exclusively and this
lens is falling by the wayside. contact me at
royer007@xxxxxxxxx if interested)

The third lens is the 35-70/4. This lens is not
commented on much because it is sort of blah. It
supposedly takes pictures on par with the 3.5~4.5
version however it is heavy and bulky which kind of
defeats the purpose of a snapshot lens. On the plus
side it is very cheap compared to the above two.

Fianlly we have the 35-70/ 3.5~4.8 note the 4.8. This
lens was NOT made by Olympus but by Cosina and it is a
very cheap feeling lens that takes sub par pictures (I
have tested one out) Avoid this model like the plague
it may be passed off as the 3.5~4.5 version.

Mark Lloyd