Re: [OM] ( OM ) lens resolution capability

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) lens resolution capability
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:33:09 +1300
Hi folks

Wayne Harridge wrote

> What seems a bit strange is that the corner resolution is better than the
> centre
> for many of the tests - I wonder if there is some sort of focus problem with
> the
> camera (e.g. miiror or screen alignment problem).

I agree. I think that probably I didn't have the camera and target board
perfectly parallel.

Also it is **not easy** to read those chart results - not at all.

Later  I read in the instructions (like, when all else fails, read the
instructions
<g>) that a sharper image can be obtained on the screen if one makes a pin-
hole (as in "very big pin-hole" ) mask and places it over the projector lens.
Stands to reason - even if the projector lenses ARE designed to be sharpest
at full aperture, it wouldn't be surprising if a little stopping down improved
what was projected.

HOWEVER, if it is SO difficult for me to obtain a very sharp image on fine-
grain 50 ASA slide film when the camera is weighted firmly on the floor and
the mirror-up & pre-fire aperture routine is done (even if the two-dimensional
plane subject is slightly off parallel), what chance of getting a sharp image
with a hand-held camera and a subject that is three-dimensional?

Brian - somewhat puzzled on this topic as usual.