Re: [OM] 75-150mm lens separation (cementing lenses)

Subject: Re: [OM] 75-150mm lens separation (cementing lenses)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:34:32 -0400
At 4:47 PM -0500 10/14/02, clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Fargo sells some lens cement that cures with UV (otherwise called "sunlight"!
>;^).  Check a hardware store -- it comes in a red syringe, marked "Duro
>Crystal Clear"!
>
>We just soak the element in acetone, clean off all the old cement, put a
>(bubble free) drop on the center of the concave element and press the convex
>element onto it, squeezing out the excess cement.  Clamp with locking tweezers
>with pads on the legs, put in a window for a day, and presto!  Works great,
>been doing it for years now!
>
>John Hermanson wrote:
>
> > What do you re-cement the elements with?

Norland makes UV-cure lens cement, line their "Optical Adhesive 60", guaranteed
not to yellow.  Edmund sells it.  It sounds like this Duro Crystal Clear is
much the same stuff, though I haven't seen it.  I used to set the lens on a
ring so the lens was horizontal, and the upper element wouldn't tend to creep.
Real industrial users use a high-powered UV source to stiffen the cement in
five or ten seconds, full cure in five minutes.

<http://www.norlandprod.com/adhesives/noa60.html>

See <http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/lenscement.html> for advice on
recementing lenses from the  Rollei folk, also keepers of ancient flames.

Joe Gwinn