Re: [OM] Dead OM-2S Circuits

Subject: Re: [OM] Dead OM-2S Circuits
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:07:45 +0100
>I just know that, of all the 2s's we see, perhaps >50% .have relatively
minor faults (meter erratic, shutter
>sticks, wind jammed, etc) that won't require major parts
>or complete disassembly, while 25% have major faults
>that _will_ require disassembly (curtain timing off, no >"program"
function, etc.).

Does the following sound familiar? Meter goes to full reading and stays
there. Responds to setting minimum ASA and aperture, but not to light.
Shutter curtains run together, except on mech 60. At one time, releasing the
shutter would fire mirror and aperture, not shutter. Setting to battery
check fired shutter, but curtains then ran together. This I cured by setting
the self - timer! Seems like half the "brain" thought it was doing a ST shot
and the other half didn't (no bleeps, flashing etc. and a lot more than 12s
waiting). Oh, and this happened every second exposure as well!

Thing is that all these symptoms are intermittent. I just got the camera out
to play with, and: Meter is responsive in all modes, Shutter working fine in
all modes . I can't check the accuracy, but the curtains are running with a
gap and the slow speeds time about right. I guarantee that if I put a film
in it to do some more extensive checks, the whole thing will revert to the
condition first described, or at least partly, because it doesn't always all
go wrong at the same time.

The real question is: do I have an economically repairable camera or a
rather attractive doorstop? my first instinct is to think "broken track on
the circuit" or "Poor contact on a switch", i.e. "repairable", but unless
these things happen in relatively well known places, investigation costs
will surely get to be more expensive than the value of the body. Evidently
if the circuit itself is toast, I have a doorstop.

Subsidiary question! Every 2S I've seen (mine included) suffers from the
little pin which holds the rewind crank moving to one side, causing a mis
alignment of the crank. I've fixed mine (several times), but is there a way
to stop this happening. Seems much more common on 2S than on other models.

Julian