[OM] ( OM ) Lab scanning and digital printing

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Lab scanning and digital printing
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:59:07 +1300
Hi folks,

Today I went to the lab I used and collected the prints from last weekend.

I asked about some features of the Agfa D3 Lab machine they use.

(From memory, and he raced past the detail to say 2000x3000); apparently it
scans 35mm at (2,000 and something) x (3,000 and something) (100 dots
per mm; it seemed to me); and ALL printing regardless of the size of the
print is at 400 dpi; i.e.32 dots per mm = just at the edge ot the supposed
average human "circle of confusion" appreciation of fine detail.

Secondly, I had to use a roll of Kodak Gold 100 (Bright sunshine) print film
that I borrowed from my wife. I can confirm what others have written. For
some subjects even at a print size of 6x8, grain is VERY obvious in
textureless parts of an image.  Quire different, and not as good as the other
film I used, Fuji Superia Reala. Both were 100 asa.

I found that using a 18-28 lens for photographing the front of a long
rectangular building is next to impossible to do without some considerable
(barrel ? ) distortion.

Brian