Re: [OM] Drying agents for photo equipment storage containers

Subject: Re: [OM] Drying agents for photo equipment storage containers
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 19:36:48 +0100
>So, my current solution is to put the damp-gone bag at >the bottom of the
container, put some kind of floor with >feet over it, and pile the gear on
top of this floor.  That >way, the dust stays below.  One caould also put a
cotton >towel on the floor, to act as an added dust barrier.  This >solution
works only for static storage, not for >portable .use.

I'd be concerned about the dust - barrier effectiveness of cotton in a
(deliberately!) dry atmosphere. Isn't this stuff meant for drying out
basements and garages? Silica gel isn't expensive enough to risk the
possible corrosive effects, surely?

Are there any chemists in the house? would this combination have a vapour
pressure, and therefore diffuse independently of dust suppression?

Julian