[OM] Rolls Royce Griffon & Hydroplanes Pics & Mt. Rainier

Subject: [OM] Rolls Royce Griffon & Hydroplanes Pics & Mt. Rainier
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:05:42 EDT
Jim Brokaw wrote:

>Nice pictures, but no sense of scale in the engine pictures... you need to
>put a Bud can on a manifold or something.

I did that on one of the Merlins.  Unfortunately, that pic is either on a
slide (I have no transparency scanner yet) or still inside the XA.  Take it
from me, the Griffon is HUGE.  2250 cu. in. equals FIVE 450 cu. in. V-8s.
Came up to chest level on that stand.  Open your arms about 4-1/2 feet...
that's about how long it is.   I'm going back tomorrow for more info. and
hopefully a few more photos... I need to get used to being around that stuff.
 I get pretty excited.  The history, the smells...

Here's a pic (I didn't take) of a fella standing next to it:

http://www.hydroprop.com/hydros/photos/02HARM/HARMTour20.jpg

and (with ref. to Mt. Rainier):

>I think you need a 65-200/4.0 as your walking-around lens...

I know... I need SOMETHING longer.  I have the 200/4, 2X-A, and the 300/4.5,
but they aren't quite "walking around lenses".  Catch 22.  I'm beginning to
get a real appreciation for the equipment and skills of the pro wildlife
photographers.  I'm going have to carry more gear up there in the mountains
with me, I'm learning.  I could use everything I have on just about any
outing, unless I decide on just closeups, or scenes.  But that never works.
There is just too much beauty up there, in all photographic ranges.

And Jim Timpe wrote:

>You need actual shots of Mt. Rainier in your Mt. Rainier folder, tho....

Yeah, I know... I was sorely disappointed in that on this latest outing,
every single shot with the mountain in it was "bad".  On a sunny day, the
bright snow & ice just overpowers everything else in the photo.  Get the
aperture set for the mountain, the foreground is too dark.  I guess I need to
carry ND filters.  Have to experiment more with that.  Will try more
bracketing... but that means recording exposures.  There's just no way around
that, is there?  No substitute for experience.

Thanks for the feedback, Jim.  And Jim.

I'll post a few more, later.

Rich