[OM] the answer

Subject: [OM] the answer
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:38:48 -0500
>Yeah...and, to me, it's a crock. I have not yet found a reply to "If HDTV
is
>the answer, what's the question?"
The answer isn't about TV, it's about RF. With the rapid (and misguided, I
think) increase in wireless services and devices, the available spectrum is
getting more and more crowded. This creates problems in both available
spectrum and interference between users. Also, the FCC has discovered the
fund raising possibilities in the auctioning of spectrum.

The current TV bands are up for grabs, when they are vacated. A prime
candidate is emergency services, where available spectrum space is hard to
find. It's politically hard to turn these people down, as the public has an
emotional response. Of course, a good reason why they need the space may be
the proliferation of incompatible systems between agencies...

Bill Pearce