Re: [OM] Discontinued Lenses & Doorstops

Subject: Re: [OM] Discontinued Lenses & Doorstops
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:38:22 -0700
Speaking of doorstops, is there NO lens source -- anywhere -- that can
provide or produce a replacement lens element for ANY lens?  It would seem to
be rather simple and straightforward, what with modern computer-driven lens
manufacturing capabilities.  I suppose it would be cost prohibitive, on a
one-off basis.  And matching the multi-coat to original factory specs might
be tough.  And there are patent issues... But what do I know?

Is it the OTHER components of the lenses that make them "unrepairable" and
therefore doorstops?  Where there's a will, there's a way, no?

Rich

I think you answered your own question. Cost of a custom element with all the mathematical calculations taking into effect curved surfaces, matching refractive index, coating multi-coatings, etc. Then there is buying a custom blank with a very accurately determine index of refraction for all colors, machining, polishing, coating. I would guess probably five or six thousand dollars. With repair components no longer available, damaged OM goodies have reached the status of land fill or future archeological objects.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California