[OM] 4x5

Subject: [OM] 4x5
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:16:38 -0500
>Dear All,
>            I hope you don't mind me asking a really stupid question
>about film. 5x4 film for large format cameras, what makes of film are
>availible in this size and can they be processed easily? I know its a
>bit daft but I'm still learning! Sorry. Thanks in advance.

Almost any pro film. All the decent chromes, some good neg films (but I have
an archetectural photographer friend that wants Fuji to do the four layer
film in 4x5 for mixed light situation) but not all, and plenty of B&W.

I would disagree about processing, though. At least here in the midwest,
most places that sell film don't process it. Find a good pro lab. You can
buy the old hard rubber tanks and stainless hangers cheaply at swap meets.
Film can be precessed in trays, but scratches are hard to avoid. Look there
for film holders, as well. Before you make the jump, check out the price of
film holders.

Dont' forget that there are roll film holders that fit 4x5. You can use them
with 120 film for even more selection.

Bill Pearce