[OM] more on travel

Subject: [OM] more on travel
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:56:03 -0500
"The El Tovar at the south rim is one of the grand old national park
lodges.  Worth it for at least one night.  At least eat there."
Winsor,
Wonderful suggestion! I understand there have been ongoing renovations in
the last year. I can't imagine there will be any tourist problems this late
in the season. I also second your idea on the table top tripod. I got one
from B&H that's perfect for travel. It's a Hakuba I-pod, that has one hollow
plastic leg, and two other metal legs that fit inside it for storage. Screw
the two legs into the side of it, and you have a tripod with an adjustable
head. It's about eight inches long, and not very large. The perfect pocket
travel tripod. About ten bucks.

And you're right, the chance of snow somewhere is great.

Also, I forgot about haze. A UV filter is a waste, and a 1A isn't much
better. I always travel to that area with an 81A for color, and a R25 for
black and white. You are at high altitudes (take sunscreen) and the closer
you get to the famous four corners generating plant, the more haze. I first
went to that area in the early seventies, and the increase in air polution
is dramatic.

I would also like to encourage you to follow others sugestions to make use
of highway patrol 800 numbers, as the weather this time of year can be
unpredictable. I wouldn't want any Alferd Packer incidents in this group.

Bill Pearce