Re: [OM] What to Do??? Need Help!

Subject: Re: [OM] What to Do??? Need Help!
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:27:11 -0400
Dear Bolty,

I'm assuming "leaving family" doesn't mean leaving your wife and kids
behind.

I'd be worried it wouldn't lead anywhere, and worse, your equipment or car
expenses wouldn't be covered.

I'd certainly apply and go for an interview. Request to meet the editorial
photographers and ask them how they got to their current positions. Ask
them how soon something would come vacant in editorial (which is your
preference, I assume). You could also ask how much editorial photographers
got paid.

You could ask the Chief whether they'd object to your working freelance as
well, handing out business cards to advertisers for their other photo
needs. That would supplement your income, and provide another career
possibility. Often, employers value honesty and ambition.

You could also consider it as a stepping stone to a better photo job. The
experience may help you, as well as the entry on the résumé.

Check out the newspaper. Is it making money?

If working in photography is your dream, this may be the first step.
You can always go back if it doesn't work out, a little poorer in pocket,
but richer in experience. Your current employer will likely understand.

Tom

On Thursday, October 10, 2002 at 16:52, Bolty <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] What to Do??? Need Help!" saying:

> Hi Guys
> I just received an email from the Chief Photographer from a Local Newspaper
> (Part of  a Large National News Group). He has seen some of my images and
> requested an up to date C.V. with a Portfolio of approx 20 images. I am
> quite excited and pleased about the idea that I have a chance to enter into
> a career in Photography. The job would be a full time position taking mainly
> house and car images for the advertising side of the Newspaper but there is
> also the chance to cover editorial work with the possibility of going into
> this full time in 6 to 12 months. My main concern is that the pay will be
> considerably less than what I earn now and it would mean moving away from
> friends and family. Half of me wants to jump at the chance and see where it
> takes me and the other is playing on the side of caution. Any ideas from you
> guys will help me to make my decision if the position is offered to me.
> Cheers Adam

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ tOM A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714