Re: [OM] (OT) more on videodisks

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) more on videodisks
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:44:50 -0700
on 10/9/02 4:57 PM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Yes, but they're not the equivalent of VCRs.  I can't type in the VCR Plus
> code and away it records.  That's what I want.
>
> Also, there are still competing formats, much like Beta and VHS.  I'd like
> them to come to one conclusion.
>
> Tom

Tom, you're talking about 'time-shifting'... IMO the best way to do this is
the Replay/Tivo type units. I think you can get something similar built-in
to some of the Dish receivers. They are called "personal video recorders"
but you can use them as a hard-disk VCR. There are some additional
capabilities, but these can be used just like a VCR.

To use the added features you need to 'subscribe' to the programming
service, but I think you can manually schedule the recordings as well. I was
looking at these a year ago, since then the prices have dropped slightly
while the recording time capacity has increased significantly.

The next step beyond these will be to do it using DVD-RW media, so there is
no capacity limit. I think those are just coming out now, at premium prices.
--

Jim Brokaw