[OM] ( OM ) Indexing / archiving

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Indexing / archiving
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:21:18 +1300
Hi,

Jon wrote

> >Also if anyone has any PC based
> >databases they have used successfully, I may be interested in a link !  I've
> >tried writing a simple thing in Access, but it really isn't one of my strong
> >points and the PC nearly got a fist through it's screen !!

I use a DOS program called Archivist, from Blackwells Books. Since I can
flick in and out  of Windows quickly with the version I use, it's extremely
fast.
It uses a B-tree indexing method. Even on a 286 and with a 1600 file list, it's
like a flash.

Another good method could be to write each record in a separate text file,
and index the lot with the search program sold by AskSam (the program is
named "AskSam".

Give me a call off-line if you want more info.

Brian