Re: [OM] Featured article on OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Featured article on OM
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 01:01:15 -0500
Just reading this article from the URL posted by Tim;

[QUOTE]Recalling the period in a recent interview, Maitani said, "About the only thing we had going for us was that we had a dream. The problems we faced seemed almost insurmountable at times. After all, the object was not just to make an SLR that was smaller, lighter and quieter than the competition; we also had to develop a complete range of lenses for it. But when we were able to show people a prototype of the camera, they began to believe in our dream, too. But it wasn't easy. Before creating something that would satisfy the consumer public, ....." [END QUOTE]

The "dream" in this case one of particular engineering specification goals and *excellence*. Excellence being one of the primary goals of the engineer. This versus marketing - the primary concern of which is *sales* .....

[QUOTE] "(cont.) ..... we first had to come up with something that would make people in the company sit up and take notice." Pausing briefly for a sip of tea, he added with a wry smile, "In a way, that was the toughest part of the assignment." [END QUOTE]

Indeed; Mr. Maitani understood the problems very well.

Cheers,
Lee