Re: Focusing Tele's was [OM] Tamron 400mm f4

Subject: Re: Focusing Tele's was [OM] Tamron 400mm f4
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 20:59:12 -0700
The 1-8 screen description says "This screen is ideal for use with super telephoto lenses of 300mm or more in focal length, or for astrophotography.", so it's no surprise that it doesn't work well with slow. wide angle zooms. I don't have a 1-8, but do have a 1-7. Oly says "Developed primarly for use with super telephoto lenses, this clear screen provides an extremely bright finder image. The microprism spot remains bright even with a lens whose maximum speed is F11, so that this screen is ideal for use with super telephoto lenses with slow lens speeds." and it's true. It works well with my 1000/11 mirror lens. Of course, you can only use the microprism for focusing, as the rest of the screen is clear for maximum brightness. On a bright day, I found it about as easy to focus on the long, slow lenses as a 2 series screen. It is still focusable when it gets too dark for any matte screen.

I probably said this back when you posted your test results. Oh well.

Moose

Jeff Keller wrote:

My less than scientific experience is that f5.6 is the dividing line.
The Zuiko 400mm f6.3 and 600mm f6.5 are easy to use with the right
focusing screen. <>

I found that a 1-8 screen works very well with long mirror tele's but
later found it didn't work well with slow wide angle zooms. I probably
didn't have a 2-4 but did have a 2-13 when I carried a half a dozen
screens with me over to the baylands for some testing. The archives six
months ago or so would have a record of my posted results. I'm going to
repeat that effort again. Probably have to spend nearly the whole day
swapping screens and lenses. Before I didn't take pictures for making
comparisons. Just spent two or three hours building impressions on
focusing ease. I'm going to try to get results on film.