Re: [OM] - Brighter screens and meter readings (reprise)

Subject: Re: [OM] - Brighter screens and meter readings (reprise)
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:49:46 +0200
OM-F/G and OM-40 have a fixed focussing screen.

OM-4Ti does all light measuring in the camera's light box, so the focussing
screen has no effect on light measurement. The 2-13 screen was supplied as
standard in the latest OM-4Ti I believe (definitely in the OM-3Ti); it can
be used in the OM-2S/SP, OM-3/3Ti, and OM-4/4Ti without problems.

The problem with the OM-1 and OM-2 is that the meter reading that you see
in the viewfinder is controlled by 2 CdS sensors in the viewfinder, where
the light is affected by the brighter 2-13 (and 2-4) screen.

Regards/Mvh.,
Roger Key

>Hi all!

>It's worldwide (!) agreed that brighter screens (Beatties, or OM series 2)
do affect meter readings in the OM-1 >/ OM-2 (the latter, in manual mode
only).

>This is due to the way those two cameras read the incoming light (that is,
on the focusing plane and not on the >film plane, unless the OM-2 is used
in Auto mode).

>In particular, OM-2 in Auto mode does give uncorrect readings while the
pictures are *correctly* exposed.

>What I'd like to know is why the same principle shouldn't apply to all the
other OM cameras with OTF light >measurement, which still need to estimate
the exposure timings *before* taking the actual picture when in >"Auto"
mode (OM-F/G, OM-40, OM-4/4Ti).

>All this wondering just because I was thinking to buy a 2-13 screen for my
(recently) acquired OM-4Ti and I >don't know if the same problems as the
OM-2 (in Auto mode) do appear...

>I know pictures taken in auto mode will be correctly exposed in any case,
but I'd like to know if I can trust >the viewfinder timing indication just
before shooting.