Re: [OM] Wanted: E-20 software

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: E-20 software
From: Tal Lancaster <talrmr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:33:01 -0700
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:44:30 -0700
Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a message dated 9/30/2002 Tom Scales writes:

[snip..snip]

> However, I am curious. Are the card readers really significantly
> faster? It does take a fair bit of time to dump a 256 CF card via the
> camera (a few minutes) but then it takes a fair bit of time to move
> 256mb of data via USB(I) anyway, right? Has anyone timed the
> difference?

I haven't timed it myself.

I went with a card reader for a number of reasons:

1. I assume the transfer time would be faster.  I just figured that the
camera manufactures may not have bothered to optimize the communication
path from the memory card out to the external port.  Especially for the
faster cards.  Just as I figured it would be in the card reader's
interest to try to optimize the transfer rates between the card and the
computer.

2. I knew bidirectional transfers would be simple with a dedicated
reader.  If there were images that I wanted to have printed out by
somebody else, I can just upload these images to one of my memory cards
and hand them the card.

3. I guess this is sort of part B of #2.  I am not reliant on the camera
manufacturer's software for transferring the files.

4. My camera is always available for use.

5. One my camera at least, the memory card door is designed to be opened
and closed a lot.  The cover for the power and I/O ports is less
convenient to open and close.  It doesn't look like it would stand a lot
of use.  So, I don't use it.

Tal

--
Tal Lancaster