[OM] Re: ( OM) walkaround camera lens (again) Zuiko 100/2

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) walkaround camera lens (again) Zuiko 100/2
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:50:19 +1200
Hi Andre
 Re: I don't know which screen I have on the 4; it's a centre split-image
version, which I like. With the 4 which has diopter adjustment at the prism, it
doesn't matter if I walk out wearing reading glasses or distance glasses; I
just set the eyepiece to suit. Focussing was NOT the problem.

What I found that I didn't like is in the images. For example, a couple of
shots I took of people playing chess in the square with those huge chess
pieces; I stood well back and focussed on the central player  or two. They
were in focus but nothing else was. I think the whole image fails as a result.

When I photographed the Town Crier resplendent in red and gold, he was
standing well away from most other people so the lens worked well for him;
he stood out alone anyway, and the shallow DOF just accentuated what was
there in the first place.

Maybe I need to practice using this selective focus for these kinds of shot
(which I very seldom take, by the way - it's not a kind of photography that
interests me). But this day, I needed a lens with greater DOF.

Brian

> Depth of field was a a problem
> though even in bright light, with that
lens(100f2).....SNIP

"What was the problem you experienced? Which screen
were you using?

A problem I have is with wide angle lens 35 and wider
in focusing them on subject not near to or at
infinity. I had a number of travel shots with a 35 f2
that came out out of focus(not camera shake) like I
was off( I'm pushing gafferhood and maybe need new
eyeglasses though at work I was tested 20 20/10 with"