[OM] OT - narcissistic photographers

Subject: [OM] OT - narcissistic photographers
From: w shumaker <rlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:20:54 -0400
OK I don't rant very often but the following is really bugging me. I
was walking down by the lake, at my neighbors house whose daughter
birthday was happening. I took a few pictures because the parents are
always asking for some and most of the time the kids don't mind. I
always try to make sure it is OK to take pictures. There was another
girl (4th grade age) playing there who was asking if I was a
photographer. She seemed a little leery of me and my camera. After
talking with her I found out that she had been at another party where
there was a photographer who "was taking a photo every 3 seconds. He
even road down the slide (not sure if water or regular slide) taking
pictures." She said he was very obnoxious and you couldn't get away
from him. I asked if he was using a flash. He was. Agghh! Man this just
gets my goat. I said I would not take any pictures of her, that it was
not right for him to be that way. I hope everyone on this list takes
note - Never take a photo if it is not right. To be really be aware of
the world around us requires a bit of sensitivity. Even if it means
letting a photo not be.

I was reading some online discussion with Nubar Alexanian who has said
how often he has to clean up after other photographers. He had that
issue when photographing Wynton Marsalis. I know there are celebrities
who get hounded by photogs, but I never thought right in my own
neighborhood I would have to do such cleaning.

Nubar says all photographs are about 3 things: the subject, the
photographer, and photography. So, what do the photos we take say about
us as a photographer? The photos of this obnoxious narcissistic
photographer were really only about himself, even if the subject was
other kids. I plead with everyone to be mindful of that dynamic and
know when it is right to walk away from a photo, and when it is
appropriate.

The even bigger issue I struggle with is how can I give through my
photography. So much is about "taking". How about "giving" a
photograph. When is photography giving back to the world and when is it
greater than ourselves? And do I want to call myself a "photographer"?

Wayne