[OM] CERVID AUTOEROTICISM

Subject: [OM] CERVID AUTOEROTICISM
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 01:11:47 -0600
Today we went into Yellowstone Park looking for our favorite bull elk who we
have been watching and visiting for about five years. His name is Charles,
christened such by my grandkids.  Each year he is bigger and this year has a
nice six-point rack and his own harem of about ten cows and there seem to be
no other bulls around to challenge him.

When we found him there were a lot of people watching him and he was posing
masterfully for the tourists. I took some pictures and then, since he was
maintaining the same pose, shifted my lens to a group of photographers with
very big glass and then toward a young lady photographer with small glass
but a great body. As I was photographing bobbing breasts in the red sweater,
Charles' nose went in the air, obviously detecting the odor of a cow in
estrus, and he changed from static poses to an action mode.  Each cow he
approached ran off and left him standing there alone. One sleek little
number was obviously preening for him and wiggled her butt at him, an
overture to which he immediately responded.  As he poked his nose in her
backside she responded by letting loose a barrage of pellets, right in his
face, before she trotted off.

At that point Charles was visibly discouraged. As he watched the cows
grazing I noticed his belly trembling and then his penis briefly exited its
sheath and quickly tucked back in. I didn't see anything exit that alabaster
shaft, but if I read his body language correctly, he did all by himself what
those cows refused to help him with. He was immediately much less agitated
and simply laid down and went to sleep. I suppose some would say....typical
male.

I was laughing so hard when the cow shit on poor Charles that I have no idea
which of those events I captured on film.

OM content:  OM4T with Zuiko 300mm and 85-250 zoom and an OM1N with Exacta
650-1300 zoom.