Re: [OM] Re: Doin the Airbag Bash

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Doin the Airbag Bash
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:04:49 -0400
I see the truck was older, with no airbags, and built like they "used to", with
no injuries to either occupant. And, yes cars_are_much weaker today with many
compromises in rigidity overall. Similar accidents with new cars cause much
heavier devastation,  to the vehicle (same with passengers if seatbelts were
used in both) ,than older cars simply made of thicker stuff. Not to mention
things like the entire frame cracking upon hitting a pothole by my friend's
late 90's Saturn!! For some accidents now the seatbelt can't cut it anymore
(And, there's been discussion that in some cases only seatbelts would have
worked better than simultaneous deployment of the airbag). I had a similar
accident  back in the early 90's with my '67 Firebird convertible. I walked
away with just banging my hand. The windshield didn't break (1/4" glass all
around), dashboard didn't move. The engine & transmission mounts broke, and  I
needed all new front sheetmetal.(Much thicker gauge than now.) The other car
was a brand new volvo. The occupants of that car were not so lucky, and their
car was totalled.

Now we drive a '66 Tbird hardtop everyday, and, YES, they don't build 'em like
they used to.

P.S. - Very glad John is OK.

Larry