[OM] No longer a wedding virgin

Subject: [OM] No longer a wedding virgin
From: Benson Russell <snapper@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:55:25 +0100
(not what some of you are thinking...)

My first bit of wedding photography, and all was hunky-dorey.

The weather held, I got 4 perfectly exposed films thanks to OM4Ti and F280
flash left largely to their own devices (mix of FP and TTL auto); and 2
delighted newly-weds when the prints came back. Thaaank God.
One little mess-up ? changed from 160asa to 400asa film and forgot to change
camera setting. Realised after 4 shots, so no damage. People who weren't
focussing, balancing on a step-ladder and worrying about composition told me
it was a wonderful wedding! Thanks to all who gave helpful suggestions.

For those of you with time for the details:

GEAR
I mostly used OM4Ti with 35-70/3.6 and was VERY pleased to be using a zoom.
The couple wanted minimal intrusion photography, and this saved a lot of
moving about. List members had suggested fixed length for simplicity, but
the zoom actually made things simpler. Also used 135/2.8 to get some candid
portraits. I think 100/2.8 for some formal portraits. I took an OM2 with 400
B+W film, and for back-up. Also a bag full of unused primes. Extra flash
too. However, the 1800mAh Ni-MH batteries (19eur, from the wrong place) went
on and on and on and on. Very quick re-cycle times too.

FILM/PROCESS
Used one Fuji NP 160, mainly for formal portraits, 3 NP 400, and one NP 800.
Looking at the 5x7 proof prints there was very little difference in quality!
I'd forget aout 160 next time ('next time..' what am I saying?!). The couple
wanted to keep costs down and opted for 2 additional sets of 5x7 prints at
time of processing. This was all done in a pro/am High Street lab with a
Fuji Frontier machine, operated by a former pro lab printer. I was very
impressed with the results - and the cost. A 'pro only' lab doing a 'wedding
package' wanted 80eur per film for 5x7 hand prints. I'd done a lot of
duplicateur shots, so wanted proof prints, and went with the other lab @
12euro per film and 5euro per set of re-prints.

NOTES
Three important accessories: tripod, monpod and small aluminium step ladder
- with 400asa film I didn't need the tripod most of the time, but it defined
me as the 'official' photographer, and everybody gave me priority. I used
the monopod extensively.
The 3 step step-ladder got me above the crowd during the out-door ceremony
(which started with the couple arriving by motor launch, and included a
recitation - with props - of 'The Owl and the Pussy Cat', the couple jumping
over a broom, a band of traditional musicians, and various friends saying
encouraging things...). I stood on a car roof, with tripod, to shoot the
'guests group'.

I was very glad I'd visited the location with the couple, a few days before,
to choose locations and talk about requirements - which expanded on the day.

All in all a gentle introduction to wedding photography.