Re: [OM] Silicon Film, I think you guys might be wrong

Subject: Re: [OM] Silicon Film, I think you guys might be wrong
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:41:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 01:54, Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I believe it can be done.  It's a pressure plate, and so the springs in
>the back will accomidate some give, if the ccd is not that thick.

I also believe it can be done.  Just by the fact that this
"technology" managed to stay in "development" for all these
years, one must believe that they had some kind of prototype
to get funding to continue their existance.  So yes, I
believe the "film canister replacement + CCD film" technology
has been demonstrated.  But maybe the problem is in mass
producing such a product for the general public -- taking it
out of the lab and onto the street.  This may be a very
difficult transition.

>I also think, the back will not shield the a signal enough to block a
>signal 100%, but it would be a battery drain to induce a field to
>overcome a metallic rear cover...

Assuming that the basic technology is possible, the only
remaining hurdle is how to get the pictures out of the "film
canister replacement".  Their previous plan was to have an
external cradle that you take the film canister out of the
camera and plug it into this cradle to down-load the pictures
to the computer.  As someone else pointed out, the "CCD film"
can be very fragile, so having the average Joe constantly
handling the canister+CCD is probably the Achilles heel that
killed the product.

This new plan calls for an external unit that attaches to the
camera itself.  The canister+CCD will stay inside the camera
and that avoids the handling problem.  The unsolved new problem
is how to connect the canister to the external unit.  And I
just don't see how it can be solved without modifying the body
itself (such as replacing the back).
        -Dan