RE: [OM] lens discussion - N*k*n etc

Subject: RE: [OM] lens discussion - N*k*n etc
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:31:24 -0600
>  ....handholding is strictly for dead photographers: a human
> pulse beat will cause 200 microns (about 0.008 inch) displacement for
> 1/10th second. Assuming a shutter speed of 1/250th sec., this
> movement alone will cause a 220ss of resolution with a system that
> is otherwise capable of reproducing 100 lines-per-mm (lpm).
> And at a shutter speed of 1/125th sec., this performance would degrade
> to only 53 lpm-a 47% waste of what you purchased ....

 One other point -- to get the maximum resolution out of lenses:

"The best technique is also needed. This technique includes heavy tripods
and camera dampening, mirror lockup or self-timers to reduce shutter shake,
and optimal lighting of the test target.  Did we mention that they also took
an entire series of photos at 1/16th of an inch lens focusing steps to
ensure getting a truly sharp image? If you are just shooting one shot for
your lens resolution tests, you are probably not going to hit the ideal
focusing point, and so derive a rather lower than optimal value."

 http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/limits.html for more on this, and also
http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/bronlensenvy.html for discussion on which
lenses you really want.

 -- dan