[OM] evaluative metering

Subject: [OM] evaluative metering
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:28:32 -0700
> "You will never get the same consistency in exposure with an
> OM(anything) compared to say, a Minolta with matrix metering".

> For what it is worth, I did see a Popular Photography comparison of
> metering accuracy for automatic cameras a few years ago and the
> thing that I remember is that Minolta's matrix metering seemed to be
> better than others and Nikon's seemed a little worse. Of course,
> those things are true until the next model comes out, but it does
> indicate that Minolta had a handle on it back then.

Can you say "Rashomon"?

I remember that article. My conclusion was that _all_ the evaluative systems
did a poor job, compared to what you'd _expect_ them to do. They seem to be
incapable of making even a half-assed judgement of what's in front of the
camera.

The Nikon with thousand-element metering wasn't available then. But you'd
expect such a system to be dead-on nine times out of ten. Is it?

By the way, Matrix Metering is  Nikon's trademark, not Minolta's.