Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photogr a

Subject: Re: [OM] Clint is foiled again (was: Professionals and digital photogr aphy)
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 01:13:13 GMT
Cc:
>Okie, I have to voice in now. I am one of the "geeksters",
>as you kindly call the members of my profession, and I
>think that you are stereotyping more than what is
>justified. So I will like to respectfully take exception to
>your posting.

Don't take the term geekster too seriously.  I was a software
engineer for around 20 years, until I got tired of constantly
changing technology.  I started with punch cards, having *just*
missed punched tapes.  You have not lived until you drop a 600
card deck from your bicycle while it is raining, having just
left the computer lab as it closed for the night, with your
project due the next day.  My last language was Java, so I think
I still understand today's technology.

>My, and *all* my peers (i.e. the part of the "geekster"
>community I interface with), do not support nor see any
>justification for illegal transfering of any copyrighted
>material. What I, personally, see a justification for is "fair
>usage". Example: if I bought the CD, I want to be able to make
>an mp3 from it to listen to in my portable mp3-player when
>working out. What is objectionable is, in this context, that
>the RIAA and their like will prevent that.

We agree.  I remember the first proposal that the RIAA (I think)
proposed for preventing the illegal copying of CDs.  They wanted
to put some material in the *audible" band.  Even the Bureau of
Standards in Colorado stated that it was audible.  The bozos
still wanted to implement it.

>Yes, there is a community that engage in and encourages illegal
>trading. But PLEASE og PLEASE do not automatically associate
>that with us "geeksters". My personal perception is, actually,
>that relatively few "geeksters" are members of that community,
>whereas a relative large part of those illegally sharing files
>are high-school teenagers or colleage students. Sadly, slashdot
>is largely inhabited by high-school students, with very few
>real "geeksters" among.....

Geekster was my attempt at a pun; mix geek with Napster.  That
slashdot article that started this thread was a real wiener.
The whiner stated that the pro asking for money for the originals
got his Open Source hackles up, or something to that effect.
What a loser!  The *only* free software source is unsupported and
only in certain areas.  Clint stated it very well with his
analogy about McDonalds.  That whiner should demand the right to
the source for Word or an Air Force ground system, and see where
it gets him.  It is quite normal for a company to charge big
bucks for the source to some software that they make money on.
Someone else can compete with you, or at the very least cause
you support headaches when they ask for support on code that
*they* changed, and you have no idea what they did.  Been there,
done that, don't want to do it again.

Pete