Re: [OM] A curious e-mail

Subject: Re: [OM] A curious e-mail
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:49:11 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Stanke" <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 11:47 PM
Subject: [OM] A curious e-mail

> Idea #2 is that the potential buyer was trying to buy the item for less
> than the minimum bid ($10).

I employed that ruse early this year to buy an (allegedly) new 35-70
f3.5-4.5 Zuiko zoom.  Being "new", the starting price was high, with the
result that no one bid.  When the auction ended I offered the seller 20%
less, which he accepted.  That was my first "big" Ebay purchase, and not
having the (alleged) protections of Ebay made me nervous, especially as the
seller was in the USA and I am in the UK.  But it all worked out OK.

Was the 35-70 Zuiko zoom truely new?  Possibly.  Regardless, it has quickly
become one of my favourite lenses, despite its handling quirks (awkward
focusing with standard screens; visibly dimmer image when aperture ring not
set on f3.5 at focal lengths other than 35mm; rotating front element), and
it now constitutes one of my "micro" travelling sets (one body, the 35-70
zoom, lenshood, filters, ERC).

-- from Cy in the UK