RE: [OM] Sort-of-faq -- why the big glass?

Subject: RE: [OM] Sort-of-faq -- why the big glass?
From: "Buddy Walters" <BWalters@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:26:04 -0700
Hi Daniel,
You wrote: Or is it that people use these in low light / high speeds
more often than I think they do?
<SNIP>
I think this is the answer.  I shoot a considerable amount of wildlife
with a Tamron 300 f2.8 and a Sigma APO 500mm f4.5 and 900f the time I
shoot ASTIA 100asa.  It would have to be in sunny 16 conditions to shoot
at f8 or f11.
If I have enough light I would bump the speed up to 1/500 sec first and
than increase the f stop.  But the best wildlife photo times are early
or late or on overcast days.

With big teles, you can never have to much speed.  It all depends if you
can carry the big glass.

I should add I love the Zuiko 300 f4.5 and the 400 f6.3.  When I travel
light I always carry one or both of these and leave the big glasses at
home.  But there have been many times I wished I had the big glass.

Buddy Walters