[OM] ( OM ) Tree name - was internal lens flare

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Tree name - was internal lens flare
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:29:53 +1200
Hi Winsor & al

> Nice tree.  Here is California we call it a cypress though, not cupress.  :-=

"Cupressus macrocarpa" is the scientific (botanical) name. The common
name for it here is just "macrocarpa", and *everybody* knows exactly what
you mean. Call it *cypress* here, and people would wonder if you meant
"Italian Cypress" (Cupressus sempervirens), "Leyland cypress" (I think that
is an inter-generic hybrid), "Cupressus arizonica" (Arizona cypress),
"Cupressus benthamii" (Benthams cypress from the Himalayas), "Cupressus
lusitanica" (Spanish cypress ?), "Cupressocyparis lawsoniana" (Lawson's
cypress from the Pacific NW) - or what <g>. All are grown here.

Macrocarpa makes a fine clipped hedge but it is hard work; and the timber
(yes these trees can grow straight enough to be milled) makes a durable,
highly scented lustrous plank.

My forestry rant for the day !!  Brian